Welcome to the Journey

Join me on a journey towards plastic-free living!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Vacation Woes in Pictures

I just got back from my annual family vacation, and boy, were there some plastic-related woes!! Despite having a great time with the fam, I experienced much angst.

To make this more interesting for you, I summarized my most common experiences in the form of MS Paint pictures.

Don't forget to check out the LESSONS LEARNED at the end!

1. Lonely Syndrome

Feeling grumpy because my entire family is using plastic utensils, cups, containers, etc. for convenience...
YET, also feeling like an Anti-Plastic Vacation Scrooge.
Ultimately I decided to focus on controlling my own plastic usage.


2. Family-Induced Plastic Use

Feeling like I had no control when my parents got take-out meals so they wouldn't have to cook (my mom did cook a lot, as did I, which reduced total possible usage).


My Styro-Cup Blues

Just a little story from my otherwise awesome vacation. On our way to a scenic point, we stopped by a famous bakery that also served ice cream. I got my scoop in a cone (no plastic, score!), and was enjoying when my father informed us that we had to get back in the car ASAP so we wouldn't waste time. We were trying to get to a national park and do some sight seeing before dark, and the bakery was just one of several stops on the way.

So, instead of finishing my cone in peace, I was commanded by my mother to put my cone into a sytrofoam cup (which I was avoiding in the first place), and also to get a plastic spoon to eat the ice cream with. I was pretty mad about this. Ultimately I calmed down for the sake of family harmony, but this was really frustrating since I had already told them about my no-plastic challenge. I felt like I had no control over my plastic usage, and like my personal choice was negatively impacting my family's convenience.

Anyway, during my trip I realized two helpful actions:
1. Pack a Swiss army knife in your luggage -- this is even better than the Zero-Waste Kit, because there's no need to pack individual utensils! AND it's a key chain!
2. Bring a small metal reusable bottle -- the smallness makes it less cumbersome when you're walking around all day (for me, at least).
AIRPLANE USE: ask the steward(ess) for just the can drink, then pour into your bottle.
OR, just put water in and pass on the free drink.

3 comments:

  1. Chinese parents will never be convinced to do what is best for the environment, especially if it costs more (or is inconvenient)!!!!!! Except my dad; he won't let us wash dishes :'( So, if you ever eat dinner at my house, I'd rinse everything before you use it. And smell the utensils and dishes that you're about to use -- they may need to be scrubbed!! My dad's #2 also clogs up our newly-installed low-flush toilets, which he makes ME clean. I'M CINDERMICKIIIII T_T

    Nice Allie-esque pics by the way. Definitely saw the resemblance in the grumpy Allison depiction :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were some well-drawn take-out containers in MS Paint ;)

    And yes!~ I'm on a family reunion vacation now and they have had to bust out the extra plastic cups and bowls for drinks and desserts :(

    It's interesting to see how much social systems (relations between people) override and influence environmental choices and conservation. The benefit of maintaining familial "harmony" as you said is greater (to us) than maintaining environmental "harmony." How to convince others when we can't even convince our own families? I guess in the long-term (which is a "sustainable" outlook) maintaining harmonious relationships is more likely to change behaviors over time versus arguing in the short-term to stop a few plastic/styrofoam containers from being used? Either way, I share your frustration and thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comments, guys!! Evan, I think that behavioral change takes a very long time when it's something not viewed as critical (i.e. life-threatening). I think that the most effective way to address this plastic issue is 1) policy reform --> regulation, 2) enforcement

    ReplyDelete