Welcome to the Journey

Join me on a journey towards plastic-free living!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Inspiration: Death by Rubber Duck


I have been talking a lot about waste and the environment as motivation.

HOWEVER, I just found an equally compelling reason to stop using plastic -- TOXINS. It's a reason that makes me want to quit altogether! Even Tupperware is suspect now. This may turn out to be extreme on my part, but I am afraid, and I am taking action.

The inspiration? Death By Rubber Duck, a book by two leading Canadians. A book about how we're all unwittingly polluting our bodies by using everyday, innocent-seeming products like shampoo, perfume, and plastic wrap. Check out their interactive website!

Why is it worth reading? Because, in order to test their convictions, the authors expose themselves to the toxins they want to see banned by governments! It's an easy read, but if you're not the book type, listen to the NPR story!

And children are the most susceptible -- they're the ones crawling around on floors, putting plastic toys in their mouths, and developing in the context of a toxic environment. Research has connected exposure to various dangerous substances (like phthalates and mercury) with ADHD, autism, Alzheimer's, reproductive problems, and more. Scary stuff!



NPR STORY SNIPPET:

"The good news here is that in a relatively short period of time, if people are a little bit careful about what they buy, if they are a little bit better about reading labels, accessing some of the amazing information that's on the Web these days, they can dramatically lower their levels of these pollutants -– even in the absence, at the moment, of adequate government regulation."

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I've subscribed to your Atom feed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why have I just heard of this mission of yours?! Very inspirational and reminds me of www.noimpactproject.org

    Also - this post reminds me of www.healthychild.org which is also all about raising consumer awareness regarding toxins in everyday products. Woop Woop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Evan! Yeah, I read NoImpactMan a few years back when I first found out about living "off the grid" (not something I personally aspire towards, but a nice cause). Bloggers are amazing and you'd be surprised what you can find!

    ReplyDelete