Welcome to the Journey

Join me on a journey towards plastic-free living!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Tip #4: Be Honest

Honesty is your best friend in any endeavor to change your behavior, your attitudes, and your life in general. Maybe you know someone who quit something cold turkey, but that's not realistic for most of us. The best way to start on the road to change is by making small, realistic, concrete steps, and to keep at it day after day after day -- this is maintenance. Taking action is only one part of change -- reflection, planning, and motivation are just as important as that first step.


To help remember this, here's a Yoda-style mantra:


Honesty leads to reflection
Reflection leads to progress
Progress leads to motivation
Motivation leads to maintenance of progress

Fear/Anger/Hate LEADS TO THE DARK SIDE!



The Dark Side is us pretending that we've gone plastic-free, when secretly we're still using plastic bags for produce and bulk rice, getting lunchtime salad in a throw-away plastic container, and sitting around feeling guilty about it. It's better to admit our problem areas to the world, so we can collaborate to find solutions.

That said, here's me being honest in my...

Promises for Progress
1. I promise only to post Tips I've tried myself.
2. I promise to openly discuss my problem areas, not hide them.
(That way, my solutions will also be public)
3. I promise to blog regularly (at least once a week),
as a way to motivate myself & others & maintain progress.

Starting Your Own Blog: Feel free to use my "Dear you" letter and Promises for Progress as templates for your own introductory posts! Add your own inspirational links and your own style.

No comments:

Post a Comment