Welcome to the Journey

Join me on a journey towards plastic-free living!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Reflection: The Journey So Far



I'll make this short and sweet. This is the condensed version of my observations and ruminations on leading a no- or low-plastic life!

Stay tuned for my Plastic-Free Vacation Guide, coming up after my vacation this week!


Observations
1) Plastic is EVERYWHERE!
It's easier, frankly, for me to go meatless than plastic-less. Even when I try to avoid it, I keep getting handed plastic! Like when I ordered at a sit-down restaurant last month -- my burger came on a paper plate, but my salad came in a plastic box. Or when I got a whiskey at a bar last week, and the bartender gave me a water with a plastic straw in it without my asking.

2) Some plastic may be unavoidable (if I stick to my current diet).
This is the killer for me: food wrapped in thin plastic. Cheese is the biggest issue for me. I CANNOT seem to get unwrapped cheese anywhere, even the farmers market! Don't know what to do about this kind of wrapping.

3) Sometimes it's awkward, but just speak clearly.
People are used to giving you plastic -- grocery store cashiers automatically put things in bags. Airplane stewards give you cans with cups. Bartenders put straws in cocktails. Just speak clearly and repeat if necessary. Plastic-less requests are not normal, so make sure your message gets through.

"One drink, NO STRAW, please."
"I DO NOT need a bag, thanks."
"I have my OWN BAG, thanks."

Or, just make an unambiguous action (esp. in loud places!): Make a "no/stop" gesture if they reach for the straw, or take the plastic cup off your airplane drink and hand it back.

Everyday Solutions
1) Make/Get a Zero-Waste Kit TODAY!
And don't forget it! I cannot count the number of times I've mentally slapped myself on the forehead when I realize I don't have a reusable spoon, fork, etc.
My kit: collapsible chopsticks, small spoon, small reusable bottle (less bulky) with carabiner. Put in a clean pencil case/zipper bag/wrapped in a cloth.

2) Make a reusable bag part of your ensemble.
Don't get caught without one! Stash it somewhere handy -- in your bike basket, in the trunk of your car, in your backpack/laptop case, etc. I put all my stuff in a small purse, then put the purse in a cute canvas bag that I carry around. That way, when I go shopping, I put my small purse on my shoulder and load groceries/etc. into the bigger bag. Men, I know you don't like purses, but just put it somewhere close by.

If you make these two easy adjustments, I promise that you will be using a LOT less everyday plastic. It only takes one day to make the switch! (And, you probably already have this stuff around.)

Good luck!


1 comment:

  1. I've found cheese wrapped in wax or paper at some farmers markets. Also, I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete