Welcome to the Journey

Join me on a journey towards plastic-free living!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tip #2: Do the Trash Can Test

The Trash Can Test is the quickest way to judge your use of disposables.

Go look in your trash can. If it's not too nasty, root around and observe:
How many things in my trash can will rot?

Chances are, there are plenty of things in there that won't rot -- at least not for thousands of years! These are the disposables that you use day in and day out, probably without even realizing how much you use.

The usual suspects are: juice boxes, straws, plastic wrap for food, yogurt cups, take-out food containers, etc. These things cannot be recycled and become TRASH.

How to Reduce Your Waste:
1. Do the trash can test every couple of days and note down somewhere the unrottable items you see most often.
2. Stop and think twice before buying those items. Is there a non-plastic alternative?


MY TRASH CAN TEST

Right now my trash can contains:
-scrap paper*
-pamphlet*
-napkins*
-banana peel*
-wax paper (wrapping)
-plastic wrap (came with bar soap)
*these can be composted! (I've chosen not to, which I'll write about later as a Problem Area)

REUSING - Stuff my trash can would have had:
-empty plastic container for grated cheese (I washed it & will use it for storage)
-empty paper box for medicine (recycle!)
-empty plastic container for kimchi (washed & used for food storage)

Notes to Self: Next time, try to find a brand of kimchi that uses glass jars. Buy soap that comes in a paper box or, better, bulk soap with no packaging.

3 comments:

  1. Great tip, Allison! It's also good to note that anything that CAN decompose SHOULD do just that- in a healthy, sustainable way. So even your scrap paper, pamphlet (if it isn't treated with chemicals), and napkin can be composted.

    Oh and just FYI... I'm on day 2 of no plastic. I'll keep you updated on how it's going for me. Thanks for starting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tasha! I changed them all to compostables with asterisks, and I put up a link. I considered composting last year when I moved into my dorm, but I ultimately decided it was too much to handle...my room is only 105 square feet and I don't have a garden here...maybe you can recommend steps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the kimchi jar. Even glass ones are worth recycling >_<...

    ReplyDelete